Home :: Help :: FAQ
Case Studies :: FAQ :: Video FAQ :: Glossary  :: Site Map
Bookmark and Share  
  :: Overview
  :: Case Studies
  :: FAQ
  :: Glossary
  :: Site Map

Frequently Asked Questions

The following are our most frequently asked questions, if you can't find what you are looking for here, you can send your question directly to us here.

1)     What are personal travel and import requirements into the US/Canada?

Customs Brokers are not normally involved in the requirements for personal importations or cross border travel.

However, Canada and US Customs both have great website resources which provide this information.

If you are travelling into Canada:

A Guide for Residents of Canada Returning to Canada

You can also contact Canada Customs directly at 1-800-461-9999 within Canada or 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 outside Canada.

If you are travelling into the USA:

You can also contact U.S. Customs at 1-877-227-5511 within the US or 703-526-4200 outside of the US.

2)     What fees are payable for an import?

All products entering another country are subject to Governement Fees, such as Duty/Taxes which are based on commodity and import destination. Exceptions to this would be products that qualify for special trade agreements (tariff treatment) or tax relief.

For specialized items, such as food, cosmetics, steel, pet products, where other government departments are involved there may be additional fees.

For a full quote on your import, such as brokerage, freight forwarding, warehousing, please click here.

3)     How long is the border line up?

Please visit Borderlineups.com  where you can access our webcams and also connect to Border Wait Times.

4)     How can I import a vehicle

For your convenience the step by step process is outlined on the service section of our web site under: Vehicle Importation .

For an online quote please follow the link on our main page: http://www.borderbuddy.com

You may also want to view our online video’s :


5)     What do Customs Brokers do?

The Customs Broker acts as a middle man between the importer and the government in arranging the imports/exports of various goods safely, securely and quickly through Customs. A Customs Broker also makes it easier for individuals and firms to comply with complex government regulations.

Also check out our video answer.

6)     What are the Duty Rates and HS Codes for my product?

To find the HS Codes for your products please click here.

For an estimate on non-commercial shipments valued at less than $500 please try our On Line Duty & Tax Calculator. Please click here.

7)     What is a NAFTA?

The North American Free Trade Agreement ( Nafta) is a trade agreement between Canada, United States and Mexico which sets the rules of trade and investment between these countries.

As of January 1, 1998 all goods traded between the U.S. and Canada qualifying under the NAFTA rules of origin  will be duty free.

For further explanation please feel free to visit our Nafta Tutorials

Canadian Imports: Click here.

US Imports: Click here.

For a copy of a NAFTA Certificate of Origin please click here.

Also check out our video answer.


8)     Do I need a permit?

Import Controls and Import/Export Permits

Importing to Canada

In accordance with the Export and Import Permits Act, the Export and Import Controls Bureau is responsible for issuing permits and certificates for various products included on the Import Controls List (I.C.L.).

Although a product may not be subject to import controls, there may be a requirement for the issuance of an International Import Certificate (IIC).

Further information may be obtained by selecting one of these products or clicking on the International Import Certificate link above.


Exporting from Canada

In accordance with the Export and Import Permits Act, the Export and Import Controls Bureau is responsible for issuing permits and certificates for various products included on the Export Control List (ECL).

Products subject to export controls can be found here.


Importing to United States

A license (Permit) may be necessary to import certain Items such as alcoholic beverage, animals, animal products, drugs, firearms, ammunition, fruit, nuts, meat, meet products, milk, dairy, cheese products, vegetables, petroleum, petroleum products, poultry, for a complete listing of items we suggest that you view the US Government Links.

9)     How do I set up a full time account with A & A Contract Customs Brokers?

The only requirement necessary to become a valued customer of A & A Contract Customs Brokers Ltd is to complete our General Agency Agreement and Application Form.

Once your account is set up, for further assistance on your imports please email clientservices@aacb.com.

10)  What services does A & A Contract Customs Brokers provide?

A&A Contract Customs Brokers offer a full range of services for your international needs.

Our services include:

Customs Brokerage (US and Canadian)

Non-Resident Importer Program

Vehicle Importation

Importation for the infrequent importer

Freight Forwarding

Warehousing & Distribution

E-Solutions for Trade Management

E-Manifest / Carrier Services

For further details please click here.

Also check out our online video answer.

11)  How do I contact A&A Contract Customs Brokers?

Click here to find a list of our locations and phone numbers.

eBay User Services :: Case Studies :: Faq :: Glossary :: Site Map :: Help
About A&A :: Services :: Importing/Exporting :: Resources :: Online Tools :: Publications :: News & Events
  © 2009 A & A Contract Customs Brokers Ltd.®  All rights reserved.      Disclaimer      Privacy Policy     Terms and Conditions