In order to avoid delays and penalties you must:
- Ensure documentation is complete, legible and detailed.
- Ensure goods are properly market with Country of Origin.
- Ensure goods meet OGA requirements – FDA, USDA etc.
- Work closely with your experts – customs broker, shipping company, attorney and U.S. Customs.
- Ensure your customs broker is notified of your shipments.
- Consider joining C-TPAT.
- Understand your obligations as an importer of record.
- Ensure you maintain records as required by customs.
- Prior disclosure.