The steps that are required for importing products from Europe to Canada are:
- Open an account with a licensed Customs Broker to act as your agent.
- Determine the country of origin for the goods you are importing.
- Determine the 10-digit tariff classification number for each item you are importing.
- Determine the applicable tariff treatment and rate of duty (preferential tariffs apply under Canada-Europe Free Trade Agreement)
- Determine if your goods are subject to the goods and services tax (GST), excise tax or excise duty.
- Determine the value of goods importing and estimate in advance how much duty and tax to pay (if applicable)
- Notify your Customs Broker on the timing of the first shipment. They will ensure full compliance and fast clearance of your shipment.